“…operating, generating… new life, new life…”
“New Life” – Depeche Mode (1981)
Built in 1919, The United Auto Company Building was one of the structures that added to Prospect Avenue, on Cleveland’s near-east side, being known as the city’s “Automobile Row” during the early 20th Century. It served as an automobile showroom and service center into the 1960’s. The two-story building was designed by Detroit architect, W. A. Borch, in a Neo-Classic-Contempory style.
Today, through rehabilitation, the old structure has found new life, helping shape lives in the community, as the headquarters for the Greater Cleveland YWCA. In 2002, the building received the prestigious Preservation Merit Award, and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places for it’s architectural significance. Just one of the many wonderful historically preserved sites breathing new life into Cleveland’s Upper Prospect Historic District.
From the top:
Photos 1, 2, and 7 taken May 28, 2015
Photo 3 taken April 2, 2015
Photos 4, 5, and 6 taken May 4, 2015