“Everyday brings change, and the world puts on a new face… sudden things rearrange, and this whole world seems like a new place…”
In 1910, a grand house was built at this spot at 3289 East 55th Street, near Broadway Avenue, in Cleveland. And today the house still exists, though just by looking you would never know!
In 1919, the house was purchased and became the national headquarters for the First Catholic Slovak Union of America. In addition to administrative offices, the house also served as residence for the organization’s president. The organization was founded in Cleveland in 1892 as a fraternal benefit society for immigrant Slovaks and their families living and working in America, and provided insurance and other benefits.
The organization grew to over one hundred thousand members by the early 1930’s, and it became apparent that larger facilities were needed. It was then decided to expand their facilities and Cleveland architects Warner, Katonka and Miller were hired to convert the single family residence into the building that is pictured above. With Art-Deco style design features, the renovations and expansion to the house was completed in 1933, and served as the headquarters for the First Catholic Slovak Union of America until 1982. JEDNOTA, which the organization became popularly known as, means “Union” in the Slovak language, and appears over the front entrance to the building.
Photos taken March 30, 2016